Dear Diary

Dear Diary: Weekend Wanderings – Part Three

Bright and early (well for a Sunday!) my niece and I headed off to the docklands so she could take a ride on the Emirates Airline (which I’ve blogged about previously) before hopping on the underground to Stratford so she could experience the two methods of transport my mother would most certainly not be partaking in! Our plans for the day were pretty fluid and after the success of the boat trip the previous day we hopped on the DLR to Woolwich in order to get the river bus right to the city centre. What we hadn’t counted on was the Thames barrier being closed off meaning that no boats could get that far. Fail.

Given that we were stuck in Woolwich we had a quick look around the outside of the Royal Artillery Museum where there were some cool cannons and a tank before decided on our next step. We had planned to take a break for the afternoon by heading to Shaftesbury Avenue cinema to see a movie but since there wasn’t any point in going into the centre of town just to come back again afterwards we headed to West India Quays instead. This was quite a good move because it meant wo could go see the new Tinkerbell movie which my niece really wanted to see and also get a discount off our lunch at the nearby Wetherspoons. Sadly I wasn’t very well after eating and after I made it through the movie I went home to get some rest. Having such an unpredictable illness really sucks sometimes.

Not wanting to waste my last full day with the family I headed to the hotel earlier than usual on the Monday. Mum had been looking forward to seeing some of the markets so we hopped on the overground to Camden Road, took a walk along the lock and had a nosy through many of the stalls. My niece picked herself a lurid pink satchel for school which she was very proud of. I also treated her to a chin chin labs nitrogen ice cream and tried out their flavour of the day myself, cream cheese frosting and red velvet. Yum!

The last think to tick off the to-do list was a visit to Madame Tussaud’s but sadly I hadn’t taken into account that it was the first day of English half-term and there was over a two-hour wait to get in. We gave up after half an hour and decided to try to get the river bus home after the palaver of the day before. Sadly by the time we got to Millennium pier we had missed the last bloody boat to Canary Wharf! Talk about bad luck huh? My niece was happy enough though as she got a ride on the merry-go-round underneath the London Eye and we all enjoyed a final dinner at a nearby Slug and Lettuce which was really delicious, I’d never been to the chain before but with their 50% off food on Mondays offer I’d thoroughly recommend it! For the last night I snuck into the hotel room with them and stayed the night, three generations of girlies in the same bed!

Sadly they had to fly home on the Tuesday afternoon but even after partaking in a huge buffet breakfast at the hotel there was still time to take them to my flat for a nosy around and a cuppa before heading to City airport. I may have shed a few tears but I hope they enjoyed their time enough to want to come back and visit again!

0 thoughts on “Dear Diary: Weekend Wanderings – Part Three

  1. […] Sunday morning we popped along to Frankie & Bennys for breakfast before heading to the cinema to see the latest Tinkerbell movie; Tinkerbell and the Legend of the NeverBeast. Seeing Tink movies at New Year has become a bit of a tradition for Matt and I but I was less enamoured with this compared to the Pirate Fairy that I saw in February. […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.