One of the things London is best known for is the wide variety of plays, musicals and operas gracing the many, many theatres. Some places seem to have a different show happening every other week while others are long-running favourites and big parts of the West End Family. Musicals in particular are very popular and these are some of the most sought after shows in the West End.
- Wicked – My personal favourite musical, Wicked has won over 90 international awards with catchy songs that you’ll find yourself humming along and stuck in your head days after you’ve watched the glitzy performance.
- Phantom of the Opera – This Andrew Lloyd musical is a firm favourite for some and still has sell out shows on a frequent basis despite having been going for 27 years running. I’ve not seen this is London but I was lucky enough to see it on Broadway in New York.
- Les Miserables – I’ve only seen last years film adaption of Les Mis and to say that it wasn’t my cup of tea is perhaps an understatement however it’s been voted Britain’s favourite musical and is currently the world’s longest-running musical to date.
- The Lion King – Definitely on my To-See list The Lion King is said to be one of the most visually stunning musicals around thanks to some elaborate costumes and special effects. Plus who doesn’t love Disney?
- Mamma Mia – Not to everyones taste musicals that are shaped around pre-existing songs rather than bespoke music can be a hard nut to crack but I think the Mamma Mia manages it perfectly and the lyrics are well enough known that you’ll soon be bopping in your seat and singing along!